5-Bromo-4-chloro-3-indolyl-β-D-galactoside (X-Gal)research grade
- Pack Sizes
- Certificates of Analysis (Lot.-no. - release date)
- PDF Documents
- Additional Information
- Related Products
- Product Links
C14H15BrClNO6 • Mr 408.6 • CAS [7240-90-6]
X-Gal is a well known histochemical substrate used to detect the β-galactosidase enzyme (1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10). Identification of lacf-colonies (8). X-gal is used to distinguish recombinant plasmids from parental vectors in cloning experiments using vectors containing the lacZ or lacZ [DMvP1](-)peptide gene (2, 3, 5). Upon hydrolysis, X-Gal yields a localized, insoluble blue precipitate making it exceptionally useful in blotting, immunocytochemical, and ELISA assays. X-Gal has been used for the detection of coliforms (E. coli) in municipal water supplies (6) and food products (7). X-Gal is often used in conjunction with IPTG (Isopropyl-β-D-thiogalactopyranoside, cat. no. 26600) which binds and inhibits the lac repressor thus inducing β-galactosidase activity.
Stock solution: 20 mg/ml in DMF. Store in aliquots at -20 °C in the dark. For detection of transformants, use in final concentration of 40 µg/ml.
min. 99.0 %
- Maloy, S.R. (1990) Experimental Techniques in Bacterial Genetics, Jones and Bartlett (eds.), Boston, MA
- Miller, J.H.(1992) A Short Course in Bacterial Genetic, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.
- Sambrook, J. et al. (1989) Molecular Cloning: A laboratory Manual, 2nd. ed., Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor (4.8, 4.22-4.23, 4.33, 4.37-4.38, 1.85-1.86, B.14)
- Horowitz, J. et al. (1964) J. Med. Chem. 7, 574
- Brand, A. and Perrimon, N. (1993), Development 118, 401
- Ley, A. et al. (1993) Can. J. Microbio. 39, 821
- Feldsine, P.T. et al. (1993) J. AOAC Int. 76, 5
- Lojda, Z. et al. (1973) Histochemie 34, 31-9
- Lojda, Z. et al. (1979) in »Enzyme Histochemistry, A Laboratory Manual«, Springer-Verlag Berlin, Heidelberg, New York
- . Davies et al. (1980) Advanced Bacterial Genetics, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.
EINECS: 230-640-8 • WGK: 1 • HS: 29389090
Storage Temperature: +2 °C to +8 °C